Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Hello again!

    The internet is much faster now so I can load pictures in under an hour......which is nice.  The water is running again too!  I think I should start by going over the beginning of the week first.  On Sunday, the four of us from Providence College went with Fr. Lumala to Maseno University, where he is the chaplain.  He said mass there and it was about 2 hours long.  I like going to mass, but I thought it was a little long.  Afterwards there was a Eucharistic procession for 2 and a half hours.  It was very nicely done, but again it was really long.  After that we sat down with the leaders of the Campus ministry there, which was nice.  They told us about what they do on campus and in the local community.  They have "households" made up of 15-20 Catholic families, and each one has a different theme, such as peace and justice, etc..  We then came back to the Dominican Compound and Fr. Lumala gave us ice cream, which was very nice of him. I half expected to see other American Missionaries at the mass, but we didn't run into any.

      The students took exams on Monday and Tuesday, and so there was not too much for us to do around the school.  On Monday morning, I organized the building of a ping pong table for the students to use.  It was pretty cool.  We took an old chalkboard with plywood on the back of it and had a frame built for it so that it would sit at the right height for the kids to play ping pong on it.  The 2x4 timbers that we used to make the frame were cut out of a tree that had been cut down on the school property, which was neat.  On Tuesday afternoon, I taught some students American Liturgical music and started teaching them how to play the guitar.  One girl in particular really seems to have a knack for the guitar, which is good.  Fr. Chris told us that we would be in charge of organizing the annual semester retreat for the students, which will take place a few days before we leave.  I think that I will be able to teach enough students how to sing the liturgical music to have a small choir singing during adoration, which will be nice.  I think that one or two of them will have the guitar down pretty well by the time I leave.

      Today i only have one class, Phys Ed, at 11:35, and so I got up and went to mass and the rosary this morning at 6 and now I am back in the house blogging.  I am thinking of finishing up some laundry now that the water is running again.  After school I will be teaching music again.  I feel bad that I miss soccer, but there is no time during the day for me to teach them that, so it has to be after school.
     
      Tommorow afternoon I am meeting with the school sacristan about playing guitar at mass, and hopefully being able to learn some of their music.  Their music is very different from ours.  There is a lot of clapping and singing certain lines repeatedly but with different intonations, so I'm not so sure how it is going to work, but I am going to try.  It would be great if I could teach just one student some chords to go along with their mass music, so that they could continue with it when I am gone.

Anyway, here are some pictures......I hope they load faster than the one did last night.....


     That picture again, took a really long time to load, so I think that I am going to simply post a link to a facebook album of photos when I want to share photos with you all.  For some reason, that loads photos a lot faster.  You shouldn't need a facebook account to see them, but email me if you have any problems seeing them.  You might have to copy and paste the link into your URL bar.....

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150686269325089.697788.774375088&l=fb4f1ab9ce


Thanks again for Reading!  

God Bless,

     Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment